Setting up your top and footer navigation is easy, and you do both at the same time in this step. With WordPress 3, you are able to add Categories, Pages and Links to your menus.
Recommended Use: We recommend adding three Categories and two pages to your top and footer menus so your users have clear navigation through your site. For Categories, add “Trips”, “Travel Events” and “Travel Blog”. For Pages, add “Home”, “About” and “Contact”.
Create a Menu
If you are installing WordPress and this theme for the first time, then there are no menus created yet, so start at Step 1. If you are installing this theme over an existing site, then skip to step 3 below.
- In the WP-Admin area, go to APPEARANCE > MENUS. By default, there are no menus created yet. (See FIG A Images 1 and 2)
- Enter a menu name “top menu” and click CREATE MENU. Create one more menu and name it “footer menu”. You can use any name you like, but something like “top menu” is a helpful name for the menu you plan for your top menu, and “footer menu” for the footer menu. (See FIG B)
- Under Theme Locations, you need to assign your new menus to the Primary and Secondary navigation menu locations. (See FIG C)
- Primary Navigation – Assign the “top menu” to this location by selecting “top menu” from the drop down.
- Secondary Navigation – Assign the “footer menu” to this location by selecting “footer menu” from the drop down.
- Click SAVE.
- Next, you can assign items to your menus…
|FIG A: Create a new menu|
|FIG B: Main Menu created|
|Fig C: Add menu to theme locations
Setup Your Top Menu
You must have at least one Category or Page set up before you can add it to your menu (If you haven’t yet setup any categories, see Create Categories). Assuming you have some categories and pages ready, let’s proceed…
- Load your “top menu” by clicking on its tab in the menus area
- Scroll down to view the Categories area (See FIG D), click on VIEW ALL to make sure you are seeing all your categories.
- Check the Categories you want to add to your menu (like “Travel Blog”, etc…) and click ADD TO MENU.
- Scroll up to view the Pages area (See FIG E)
- Under Pages, click on VIEW ALL, and check the boxes next to each of your new Pages (e.g. “Home”, “Contact” and “Bio”)
- Then click ADD TO MENU.
- In the menu area on the right click SAVE MENU (See FIG F).
- Once you have added Categories and Pages and saved the menu, you can check out the front end of the site and see your top menu and footer menu’s have been updated (See FIG G)
- Now you know how to setup your “footer menu” as well, as it is the same process (see FIG H)
|FIG D: Add categories to menu|
|FIG E: Add pages to menu
|FIG F: Saving the menu|
|FIG G: Top menu configured|
|FIG H: Footer menu configured|